Quick and easy instant pot pork chops that are perfectly tender every time! Smothered in the most delicious mushroom soup gravy made with simple ingredients. This recipe is great with bone-in pork chops, thick boneless pork chops, or pork steaks.
Why you'll love this recipe
Here's why you'll love this instant pot pork chops recipe:
- Just an easy and straightforward recipe with no complicated steps. Perfect for busy weeknights when you don't have much time in the kitchen.
- Tons of flavors in the creamy mushroom sauce. A sure instant family favorite.
- Tender pork chops every time! Using an electric pressure cooker or instant pot takes away the possibility of overcooking pork.
Here's what you need:
Thick pork chops, which are about 1 to 1 ¼ inches thick, are ideal for instant pot cooking. They become fork-tender after pressure cooking and are not easy to overcook. For maximum flavor, I use bone-in pork chops. You can also use boneless pork chops if preferred.
Here are the ingredients of the rich mushroom gravy:
- Beef Broth or beef stock - is best for making mushroom gravy as it gives it a bolder flavor. You can also use homemade chicken broth or store-bought.
- Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup - a convenient way of making any mushroom-based gravy that allows you to omit heavy cream or sour cream.
- Fresh mushrooms - for added texture. You can use white or brown button mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms.
- Oregano - or similar dried mixed herbs like Italian seasoning, Herbes de Provence, dried parsley, etc.
- Worcestershire sauce - helps balance the flavor of the gravy mixture. You can also use soy sauce as a substitute.
- Fresh garlic or garlic powder and onion powder
How to Make Pork Chops with Mushroom Soup Gravy in an Instant Pot
Here's a rundown on how to make it:
1. Saute setting
- Brown the pork on both sides. Set aside.
- Saute mushrooms and garlic. Scrape the browned bits into the bottom of the pot using a wooden spoon.
- Add canned mushroom soup, broth, and browned pork chops.
2. High Pressure
- Close the lid and then turn the knob to venting.
- Pressure cook and set the timer manually for 21 minutes.
3. Quick Release then Saute Mode
- Quick release (follow manufacturer’s guide for safety) once the timer is up. Remove the lid.
- Set back to saute mode. Pour cornstarch slurry and cook until sauce thickens.
Nothing complicated, just simple cooking techniques that make this a really good instant pot recipe.
- Keep the fat around to pork to keep it moist and not dry.
- To get the perfect sear pat dry pork chops with a paper towel to remove any moisture. The high heat will help evenly brown the meat without producing any steam. Bonus tip: Use your tongs and stand the chop on its fatty side and get it browned and deliciously crispy.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper before cooking to bring out its natural flavor.
- Use hot broth (e.g. microwave for 1 min) to get the pressure up sooner which will reduce the cooking time. What I actually did was dissolve 1 piece of beef bouillon in hot water from the kettle and then pour it into the pot while still hot.
- To thicken the sauce, combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl and add to the sauce after pressure cooking.
Here are some simple changes you can make to the recipe that may suit your taste:
- Make it rich and creamy - add a splash of milk, sour cream, evaporated milk, or fresh cream.
- Season the pork with paprika for another layer of flavor and color.
What to Serve with Pork Chops with Mushroom Soup Gravy
Serve these pork chops over white rice, brown rice, mashed potatoes, and roasted potatoes. My other favorite side dishes are steamed vegetables like peas, green beans, and broccoli.
Can I make this with chicken?
This recipe works well with boneless chicken thighs. Cook in high pressure for 10 minutes then QUICK RELEASE.
More Mushroom Recipes...
- Salisbury Steak with Homemade Mushroom Gravy
- Easy Mushroom Pasta Sauce using canned soup
- Chunky Mushroom and Celery Soup
- Pan-Fried Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
- Creamy Garlic Pasta with Bacon and Mushroom
Watch the Recipe Video
Try these recipes next...
Instant Pot Pork Chops with Mushroom Soup Gravy
- 4 pieces bone-in pork chops 1 to 1 ¼ inch thick (see note 1)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Canned Mushroom Soup Gravy
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 250 grams fresh brown mushrooms (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (or soy sauce)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano or similar dried herbs (see note 2)
- 1 can 10.4 oz/295g can mushroom soup
- 1 ½ cup beef broth (see note 3)
- 2-3 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup water (see note 4)
- fresh parsley (chopped, optional)
- Pat dry pork chops with a paper towel. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Set instant pot to SAUTE mode. Add oil. Once hot, add pork chops and brown on both sides. Do this in two batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add butter. Once melted, add mushrooms and cook until softened. Add garlic and cook until fragrant scraping the brown bits in the bottom of the pot. Stir in onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, and oregano.
- Pour canned mushroom soup and beef broth. Return pork chops to the pot. Lock the lid. Press CANCEL. Select PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 21 minutes. When the timer is up, turn the knob to VENTING to quick-release (follow manufacturer’s guide for safety.)
- Open the lid carefully. Press CANCEL then select SAUTE mode. Stir cornstarch slurry then pour into the Instant Pot. Cook until gravy thickens. Taste and season with salt and pepper as necessary.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Pork Chops - for maximum flavor, I use bone-in pork chops with fat intact to keep them moist. You can also use boneless pork chops if preferred.
- Oregano - substitute with similar dried mixed herbs like Italian seasoning, Herbes de Provence, dried parsley, etc.
- Beef Broth substitute - dissolve 1 piece beef bouillon in hot water. You can also use chicken broth if preferred.
- Cornstarch - use 3 teaspoons for thicker mushroom gravy.
- Instant Pot - always follow the manufacturer’s guide for safety.
Riverten Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.