Instant pot beef stroganoff! Made with simple and budget-friendly ingredients–chunks of beef, cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream. In 30 minutes you can make one of the easiest comfort food in a pressure cooker.
Why you'll love this recipe
Not the traditional way of making classic Russian beef stroganoff but this one's definitely one of the easiest.
You will love this because:
- It's a straightforward recipe with no complicated steps. Perfect for busy weeknights when you don't have much time to make dinner.
- Tons of flavors in the creamy mushroom gravy. A sure instant family favorite.
- Budget-friendly and economical recipe with the use of simple and low-cost ingredients.
- Tender beef every time! Using an electric pressure cooker/ instant pot ensures you have tender beef every time. No need to worry about overcooking.
What you need
Here are the ingredients to make an easy yet flavorful beef stroganoff:
A few notes about the ingredients:
- Beef Broth - Use a good quality low sodium beef broth. You can also use beef bouillon. I recommend using just half of it.
- Onions and Garlic - skip the chopping and dicing by using onion powder and garlic powder. Yes, this recipe is very adaptable.
- Butter - Use unsalted butter as the broth and mushroom soup has already enough salt. Substitute with vegetable oil like canola or olive oil if preferred.
- Cream of Mushroom Soup - Use regular mushroom soup or less sodium based on your dietary requirement. Note that all canned cream of mushroom soup tastes the same so use your favorite brand.
- Sour Cream - Use full fat for maximum creaminess and richness. Low fat sour cream is also fine if you prefer a lighter stroganoff sauce.
- Worcestershire - adds a nice depth of flavor and extra savoriness to the dish. Traditionally, dijon mustard is used to balance the richness of the sauce.
What is the best cut for instant pot beef stroganoff?
The best thing about using an instant pot to cook beef stroganoff is you won't be needing expensive prime steak cuts like rib eye, beef sirloin, or beef tenderloin or sirloin.
Inexpensive beef cuts that are sold as braising (or stewing) beef work well for this recipe including blade, chuck, skirt, leg, and flank. Choose a cut with a nice marbled fat so it doesn't dry out during pressure cooking.
Add fresh mushrooms for added texture. You can use white or brown button mushrooms, crimini mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms.
Can you omit the mushrooms? Yes! Remember we're already using the cream of mushroom soup so the flavor will still be there.
How to Make It
And here's how I make beef stroganoff in an instant pot pressure cooker:
- Brown the beef - this may sound like an extra step but it's totally worth it. Searing the beef helps seal in the juices and will prevent the meat from becoming dry during the cooking process.
- Stir in the aromatics - add the butter, onion, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce into the pot. Let it cook until fragrant. No need to remove the beef.
- Pressure cook - close the lid and pressure cook in manual mode. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the beef.
- Quick Release - once the beef is tender, turn the valve into venting to do a quick release. Switch to SAUTE mode and then finally add the sour cream. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken the sauce. Finally, season with black pepper, chives, or fresh parsley before serving.
For medium size cubes of beef, the cooking time would roughly be at around 25 minutes to 30 minutes at high pressure. For thinner cuts of beef, cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
What to Serve with Beef Stroganoff
Serve with egg noodles, pasta, or a warm cup of rice with a side of salad, steamed vegetables, or roasted vegetables.
Shelf-life and Storage
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. This also freezes fine. Thaw overnight in the fridge then re-heat the next day.
More recipes with mushroom
- Instant Pot Pork Chops with Mushroom Soup Gravy
- Cream of Mushroom Soup Pasta Sauce
- Chunky Mushroom and Celery Soup
- Pan-Fried Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
- Salisbury Steak with Homemade Mushroom Gravy
- Creamy Garlic Pasta with Bacon and Mushroom
More beef recipes
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff with Mushroom Soup
- 1.3 pounds braising or stewing beef slice into cubes (note 1)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ground black pepper (to taste)
Easy Stroganoff Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 8-10 oz fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2-3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can 10.4 oz/295g can mushroom soup
- ½ cup beef broth (less sodium, note 2)
- ½ cup sour cream
- fresh parsley or chives (chopped, optional)
- 8-10 oz egg noodles or pasta (cook as per package directions)
- Pat dry beef with a paper towel.
- Set instant pot to SAUTE mode. Add oil. Once hot, add beef and season with black pepper. Cook until brown on both sides. Do this in two batches if needed.
- Add butter, onions, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook until softened. Stir to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add mushrooms, canned mushroom soup, and beef broth. Give it a quick stir. Lock the lid. Press CANCEL. Select PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 25 minutes. When the timer is up, turn the knob to VENTING to quick-release (follow the manufacturer’s guide for safety.)
- Open the lid carefully. Press CANCEL then select SAUTE mode. Give it a quick stir to release the heat. Pour the sour cream and stir until it's fully melted. Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley or chives. Serve with rice, pasta, egg noodles or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Beef - use cuts that are sold as braising (or stewing) beef including blade, chuck, skirt, leg, and flank. Choose a cut with a nice marbled fat so it doesn't dry out during pressure cooking.
- Beef broth substitute - dissolve ½ piece of less sodium beef bouillon in hot water.
- Cooking time - pressure cook for 20 minutes if using thin cuts of beef.
- Sauce thickness - simmer until desired thickness is achieved. You can also add a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon water + 2 teaspoon cornstarch) to quickly thicken. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a splash of water.
- Instant Pot - always follow the manufacturer’s guide for safety.
Riverten Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.