Quick and easy pan-fried chicken with gravy. Made with tender chicken thighs and homemade mushroom gravy. This a simple and easy recipe for the whole family.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Made with chicken thighs–the best part of the chicken for pan-frying. It’s packed with flavor and has less chance of drying out compared to chicken breast.
- The mushroom gravy is so easy to make and full of flavor–made with chicken drippings and simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- Prep time is a breeze compared to other chicken thigh dishes.
What you need
And here are the ingredients:
- Chicken thighs – use boneless chicken thighs for a shorter cooking time. You can leave the skin on or off.
- Seasonings – onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Butter – add butter to add richness to the gravy. It will also make the texture silky and smooth.
- Onion – always use yellow or white onion when making gravy recipes.
- Mushrooms – you can use fresh mushrooms or canned mushrooms.
- All-Purpose Flour – to help thicken the gravy.
- Stock – I highly recommend using beef stock for the best flavor. Substitute with chicken broth if preferred.
- Dried Thyme – another secret to a flavorful gravy is adding herbs like thyme and even rosemary.
How to Make It
And here’s how to cook the chicken in 4 easy steps!
Start off by seasoning the chicken with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. For another layer of flavor, you can also add smoked paprika or cayenne for some spice.
Pan-fry in a large skillet or cast-iron pan enough to fit 3-4 pieces of chicken. Make sure the olive oil is hot so the chicken is quickly browned and seared.
Cook skin side (if using) first for 4 minutes until crisp-brown. Flip to the other side, then continue cooking with the lid on for another 6 to 8 minutes.
Remove from the pan and set aside.
Simple Mushroom Gravy
See all that drippings in the pan? That’s packed with flavor from the chicken and it’s all going in the gravy!
Saute the onion and mushroom (canned or fresh) in melted butter then add the flour. Cook for a few minutes until browned.
Then pour the broth (use chicken or beef) while scraping the brown bits off the pan (FLAVOR!). Simmer until it thickens to a gravy consistency.
There are two things you can do once the gravy is ready–add in the chicken and simmer for a few minutes or pour it over just before serving.
What to serve with Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
You can have this with rice, mashed potatoes, and even pasta. Serve with a side of steamed vegetables and your meal is complete.
More easy recipes for your weekly dinner!
- Mushroom Pasta (made with canned soup)
- Shrimp Pasta in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Chunky Mushroom and Celery Soup
- Creamy Garlic Pasta with Bacon and Mushroom
- Easy Oven Roasted Chicken
- Sardines Pasta with Tomatoes and Olives
- Cheesy Baked Macaroni
- Chicken Burger
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Pan-Fried Chicken Thighs with Mushroom Gravy
- 2 tbsp butter (add more if preferred)
- ½ onion (sliced)
- 200 grams mushroom (fresh or canned, sliced)
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups beef stock (or chicken )
- ½ tsp dried thyme (optional)
- Pat dry chicken with a paper towel. Seasoning both sides of the chicken with salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook each side for 4 minutes until brown and seared. Cover with lid and continue cooking for 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through. Longer cooking time is needed for thicker cuts. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Melt butter in the same pan. Don't remove the drippings. Add onion and mushrooms and saute until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour broth while scraping off the browned bits off the pan. Sprinkle thyme, if using.
- Simmer until it thickens to a gravy consistency. Taste, season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- There are two things you can do once the gravy is ready–add in the chicken and simmer for a few minutes or just pour it over just before serving. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Notes & Tips:
Riverten Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.