Crunchy buttery toasts with sweet, tangy tuna salad in between plus melted cheese to balance it all! This grilled tuna cheese sandwich is easily my ultimate go-to light meal. Serve it with your favorite hot drink (mine is milky hot chocolate) and your day is complete.
I always like my sandwich with a chunky texture. Celery, cucumber, and onions or green onions are my staple ingredients; whichever is available.
Now let's talk about the dressing. Tangy with a touch of sweetness has always been my weakness. So I add honey or sugar and then pickle relish or lemon juice for tanginess.
In my opinion, a tuna sandwich should always be served warm. So spread some butter over the slices of bread before grilling. Please don't skip the butter. It is worth every calorie. That I promise!
Watch how to make Grilled Tuna Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Tuna Cheese Sandwich
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar)
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 canned tuna in water (drained)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped into small bits)
- 2 tablespoons green onions or yellow onions (chopped into bits)
- 1 cup cheese (grated or 4 sliced cheese)
- 8 slices bread
- butter (softened)
- In a bowl, mix mayonnaise, honey, pickles. Season with salt and pepper. Add in the tuna, celery, and onions. Mix it all together until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Spread mixture on bread slices. Add in cheese then top with remaining bread slices. Spread both sides of the bread with butter (see video).
- In a pan over low heat, grill the sandwiches for 2 minutes on each side until bread is golden brown. Cover with a lid so that the cheese will melt easily.
Serve with your favorite hot drink and enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Other vegetables that can be added are cucumber, bell peppers, and red onion.
- Honey can be substituted with white sugar.
- Use good quality mayonnaise. I love brands like Lady's choice and Best Food.
Leave a Comment