Decided to make mushroom sandwich today to make up for our high protein diet (read: unhealthy) over the past couple of days.
This recipe makes four servings.
250 grams white or brown button mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, sliced
1 teaspoon butter (optional)
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
8 slices of bread
1 cup grated cheese, I use gouda and mozzarella which is what I have
Add ons: 4 to 5 cherry tomatoes and a bunch of spinach
Any dressing of your choice or you can also use my favorite recipe.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat.
- Saute garlic then add onions. Cook until onion becomes translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Cook and stir until the mushrooms are golden brown and juices are released, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add parsley and spinach. Turn off the heat and continue stirring so that left over heat will cook the veggies.
To make the sandwich:
- Toast the slices of bread on a large pan until both sides are lightly brown. If you are on a low carb diet, you can use one slice of bread and just make an open faced version.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of dressing on each slice of toasted bread. Divide the mushroom between the the slices of toast, top with grated cheese and finally top with remaining slices of bread. Serve right away.
Last Updated on