Pesang Manok is a Filipino-style clear soup with tender chicken pieces, potatoes, ginger, vegetables, and saba bananas. It’s fresh, light, flavorful and healthy!
Light and Healthy Pesang Manok in 3 easy steps!
- First, start by boiling the chicken in a pot of water until tender. Remove the scum as it rises on top. Cover pot with a lid to prevent water from evaporating.
- Add the aromatics such as ginger, onion, and green chili. Cook chicken until fork-tender. You can also add the potatoes at this point. Cut it in large chunks so it won’t get mushy. After 20 minutes, add the saba bananas if using.
- Finally, once the chicken is fork-tender, season with fish sauce and add your choice of leafy green vegetables. That’s it! Easy peasy!
More Filipino Chicken recipes YOU MUST TRY!
- Chicken Sinigang
- Easy Chicken and Mushroom Salpicao
- Chicken Menudo
- Easy Chicken Afritada Recipe
- Chicken Tinola for Breastfeeding Mama
- Creamy Chicken Kare-Kare
- Chicken Puchero with Baked Beans
- Homemade Chicken Tocino
- Tinola Chicken with Patola
- Chicken Tinola with Semi-ripe Papaya and Ampalaya Leaves
- Adobo Chicken Wings
- Chicken Binagoongan
- Nilagang Manok sa Patis
Pesang Manok (Chicken Ginger Soup)
Pesang Manok is a Filipino-style clear soup with tender chicken pieces, potatoes, ginger, vegetables, and saba bananas. It's fresh, flavorful and healthy!
Servings: 3 servings
- 500 grams /1 pound chicken cut into pieces, bone-in
- 4 cups water
- 1 thumb-size ginger sliced
- 1 small onion quartered
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 potatoes cut in chunks
- 2 ripe saging saba cut into two
- 1 siling haba or finger chili optional
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 bunch bok choy or pechay
- salt to taste
- Bring chicken, water to a boil in a pot. Skim foam as it rises. Add ginger, onion, peppercorns, green chili, tomato, and potatoes. Reduced heat. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes until chicken is fork-tender.
- Add saging na saba then season with fish sauce. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt if needed. Add bok choy or preferred leafy greens. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes then remove from heat. Serve with rice and enjoy!
- Use chicken pieces with bone-in and skin-on for a more flavorful soup.
- The thicker the cut of the chicken, the longer the cooking time.
- Cover pot with a lid so that the water will not evaporate while cooking.
- Other recommended vegetable options: long beans (sitaw), napa cabbage, cabbage, pak choy or pechay, green beans, and other green leafy vegetables.
Last Updated on