Pesang Manok is a Filipino-style clear soup with tender chicken pieces, potatoes, ginger, vegetables, and saba bananas. It’s fresh, light, flavorful and healthy!
Light and Healthy Pesang Manok in 3 easy steps!
- First, start by boiling the chicken in a pot of water until tender. Remove the scum as it rises on top. Cover pot with a lid to prevent water from evaporating.
- Add the aromatics such as ginger, onion, and green chili. Cook chicken until fork-tender. You can also add the potatoes at this point. Cut it in large chunks so it won’t get mushy. After 20 minutes, add the saba bananas if using.
- Finally, once the chicken is fork-tender, season with fish sauce and add your choice of leafy green vegetables. That’s it! Easy peasy!
More Filipino Chicken recipes YOU MUST TRY!
- Chicken Sinigang
- Easy Chicken and Mushroom Salpicao
- Chicken Menudo
- Easy Chicken Afritada Recipe
- Chicken Tinola for Breastfeeding Mama
- Creamy Chicken Kare-Kare
- Chicken Puchero with Baked Beans
- Homemade Chicken Tocino
- Tinola Chicken with Patola
- Chicken Tinola with Semi-ripe Papaya and Ampalaya Leaves
- Adobo Chicken Wings
- Chicken Binagoongan
- Nilagang Manok sa Patis
Pesang Manok (Chicken Ginger Soup)
Pesang Manok is a Filipino-style clear soup with tender chicken pieces, potatoes, ginger, vegetables, and saba bananas. It's fresh, flavorful and healthy!Print Pin
Servings: 3 servings
- 500 grams /1 pound chicken (cut into pieces, bone-in)
- 4 cups water
- 1 thumb-size ginger (sliced)
- 1 small onion (quartered)
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 2 potatoes (cut in chunks)
- 2 ripe saging saba (cut into two)
- 1 siling haba or finger chili (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 bunch bok choy or pechay
- salt to taste
- Bring chicken, water to a boil in a pot. Skim foam as it rises. Add ginger, onion, peppercorns, green chili, tomato, and potatoes. Reduced heat. Cover the pot and cook for 20 minutes until chicken is fork-tender.
- Add saging na saba then season with fish sauce. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt if needed. Add bok choy or preferred leafy greens. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes then remove from heat. Serve with rice and enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Use chicken pieces with bone-in and skin-on for a more flavorful soup.
- The thicker the cut of the chicken, the longer the cooking time.
- Cover pot with a lid so that the water will not evaporate while cooking.
- Other recommended vegetable options: long beans (sitaw), napa cabbage, cabbage, pak choy or pechay, green beans, and other green leafy vegetables.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?I love hearing how you went with my recipes! Tag @rivertenkitchen or leave a comment below!