A simple Chicken Arroz Caldo recipe made with leftover brown rice and tender chicken pieces slowly cooked together to create a soothing and comforting rice soup. Garnish with toasted garlic, green onions, and eggs all brought together with a drizzle of calamansi.
Brown Rice Arroz Caldo
Arroz Caldo has always been one of my go-to dishes to use up left-over rice. We never seem to run out of it, a typical scene in a Filipino household. So if it's not fried rice then it's going to be a rice soup.
Why brown rice?
Our family has preferred brown rice for years now after learning about its health benefits. It is still a carb food but has higher fiber, vitamins, and minerals. If you can't give up rice as I do then using the healthier variation is the best way to go. Of course, this recipe doesn't limit you to just using brown rice. You can definitely use leftover white rice too.
Why this recipe works?
It's quick, convenient and a total time saver. Cooking Arroz Caldo from scratch, especially if using brown rice, takes hours and requires a lot of stirring. You won't have to worry about that when cooking with leftover rice. Once the chicken is tender, it's done!
How to Make The Best Filipino Arroz Caldo
- Using bone-in chicken for Arroz Caldo makes an enrich and flavorful broth.
- To bring out the flavor of the chicken and deepen the umami flavor, fry it with the sauteed onions and ginger. Cook until the natural juices come out then season with fish sauce until fragrant (don't you just love that smell?).
- For a runny (soupy) Arroz Caldo, just add water or additional broth as needed.
- Brown the garlic separately from all the other aromatics. Set aside and divide into two portions. Add back half of the portion just before the Arroz Caldo finishes cooking to make the soup garlicky delicious! Use the rest of the brown garlic as an optional topping.
- Finally, drizzle calamansi juice and sprinkle green onions to bring it all together!
More MUST TRY Filipino soup recipes!
- Nilagang Manok sa Patis (Chicken Soup with Fish Sauce)
- Misua Soup with Sesame Pork Meatballs
- Chicken Tinola Soup for Increasing Breast Milk Supply
- Minced Beef Sopas-Filipino Macaroni Soup
- Pork Nilaga (Pork Soup with Vegetables)
- Pesang Manok (Chicken Ginger Soup)
- Pork Ribs Sinigang
- Easy Chicken Sinigang with Gabi
- Beef Nilaga Pressure Cooker Recipe (Nilagang Baka)
- Sinigang Salmon Belly in Japanese White Miso
Watch how I make it
Brown Rice Arroz Caldo
- cooking oil
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 400 g chicken (bone-in, cut into serving pieces)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- fish sauce (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Arroz Caldo Toppings
- toasted garlic (from 1 whole bulb, finely chopped)
- hard-boiled eggs (sliced)
- green onions (chopped)
- calamansi juice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, fry until golden brown. Lower the heat if it becomes too hot to prevent burning the garlic. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add a little more oil. Stir fry onions and ginger until fragrant and translucent. Add chicken, cook for 10 minutes until no longer pink. Season with fish sauce then let it simmer with the juices until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add cooked brown rice then stir. Pour chicken broth. Cover with lid and cook until chicken is tender about 20 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add a portion of the toasted garlic (leave some for topping) and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer to serving bowls. Top with sliced eggs and sprinkle with more garlic, green onions, and calamansi. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Using bone-in, skin-on chicken for Arroz Caldo makes an enrich and flavorful broth.
- For a runny (soupy) Arroz Caldo, just add water or additional chicken broth as it cooks.
My Family Loved it. I am definitely sharing Guys, Thanks For sharing this Great Recipe. this recipe and this website with my friend. Hope they also love it. Thank you again for sharing such a great recipe.