These are the best mocha cupcakes I've ever had! Super moist, fluffy, and frosted with the most delicious coffee-flavored whipped cream frosting. Truly, a dream cake for every coffee lover's out there!
This is another highly requested recipe here at RTK. It took a while but I'm so excited to finally be sharing this with you.
You will love it. I promise!
Why you'll love this recipe
- The cake batter is easy to make–it's a straightforward cake recipe that is easier to make than a chiffon or sponge cake.
- Taste like a cafe mocha, in cake form!
- Super moist, fluffy, and delicious! Everything you love about a cupcake.
- Top with the most delicious coffee-flavored whipped cream frosting. It's so good!
- Sweet but not too sweet. If you've been a long-time reader, you'll know how I don't like my cakes overly sweet.
- Frosted with the most delicious frosting - cream cheese whipped cream frosting added with just a hint of instant coffee to compliment the mocha cupcakes.
What do Mocha Cupcakes taste like?
This cupcake is primarily made with coffee, milk, and cocoa powder—basically a cafe latte with chocolate.
Of course, I had to make it really special by adding whipped cream and chocolate chips on top.
You're welcome 🙂
What you need
Cake Batter Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you need to make these mocha cupcakes:
- All-purpose flour - these cupcakes come out better with all-purpose flour
- Baking Powder and Baking Soda - make sure they are still active and not past their due date.
- Butter - use pure unsalted butter, the best quality you can find.
- Milk - use full-fat fresh milk. I don't recommend substituting it with evaporated milk or low-fat milk.
- Vinegar - to help lift the cake as it bakes.
- Eggs - use two large eggs at room temperature.
- Sugar - use caster sugar or superfine granulated sugar. Avoid using coarse sugar as it doesn't dissolve easily.
- Oil - helps the cake stay moist. A secret ingredient 😉
- Freeze Dried Instant Coffee - considered the highest quality of instant coffee available. To be specific, I used freeze-dried arabica coffee.
- Cocoa Powder - you will only need a hint so either dutch-processed or natural should work.
How to Make the Best Mocha Cupcake
Here are my top tips on how to successfully make moist cupcakes:
- Use room temperature ingredients, this includes eggs, butter, and milk. Bring them out of the refrigerator 45mins – to 1 hour before you start baking. Room temperature ingredients make a smooth and uniform batter while cold ingredients do not blend together as easily which results in a flat cupcake.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light fluffy–don't overmix or it will create a lot of air and make the cake dry.
- Do not overmix the batter – overmixing can result in a denser, gummy cake.
- Dissolve the coffee powder in the milk mixture thoroughly. Don't dissolve in hot water or it will foam up and affect the cake's texture.
Coffee Flavored Frosting
Dissolve the coffee powder in a small amount of the cream, around ¼ cup. Once it's completely dissolved, add it to the rest of the cream.
Frost and Decorate
Here's how I filled and frosted the cupcakes:
You can either make a small hole or a big hole using either a small knife or the back of a large piping tip. Fill the center of the cupcakes using small piping then finally, pipe small or tall peaks on top.
To decorate, simply top with mini chocolate chips or sprinkle with grated chocolate bars.
To make the cupcake batter, a simple hand whisk is all you need. I highly recommend using a stand or hand mixer if making a big batch.
Before frosting - let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting (warm cupcakes will melt the frosting!). If you're pressed for time, refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to quickly cool.
Make the cupcakes one day before you need them. It will taste better the next day after all the flavors have developed. Frost and decorate before serving.
Storage and Shelf-Life
Store the cupcakes UNFROSTED in an air-tight container so they don't dry out. It should last for 4 to 5 days.
Watch the Recipe Video
Try these next...
Mocha Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream Frosting
- ¾ cup milk (full fat)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 ½ teaspoon freeze-dried instant coffee (see note 1)
Other Wet Ingredients
- Pre-heat oven to 350f/180c. Place cupcake liners in a cupcake tin.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes. Add instant coffee powder and stir until completely dissolved. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl whisk butter, oil, and sugar until pale. Add eggs one at a time. Continue beating until combined. Add milk mixture and stir.
- Sift dry ingredients onto the wet mixture. Stir until there are no more traces of flour. Do not overmix.1 ½ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, 4 teaspoon unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- Fill each cupcake liner with the batter. They should just be ⅔ full. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the pan and transfer them to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Stabilized Whipped Cream Frosting
- Place ¼ cup of the cream and coffee powder in a bowl. Stir until dissolved. Add to the rest of the cream. Chill while making the cream cheese. Proceed with the next steps detailed in this recipe.
Frost the cupcakes (see step-by-step photo in the post)
- Make a hole in the center of each cupcake using a knife or the back of a piping tip. Fill a piping bag with a small tip with half of the frosting (or ziplock bag with a snipped corner). Fill the cupcakes.
- Pipe: Transfer the remaining frosting to a piping bag fitted with a decorating tip. Pipe on to the cupcakes. Top with mini chocolate chips if desired. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Freeze Dried Instant Coffee - considered the highest quality of instant coffee available. To be specific, I used freeze-dried arabica coffee. Use 3 teaspoons for a stronger coffee flavor.
- Frosting - double the recipe if piping tall swirls.
- Storage and shelf-life: Store the cupcakes UNFROSTED in an air-tight container so they don't dry out. It should last for 4 to 5 days.
- Nutrition: Frosting not included in the calculation.
Riverten Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.