Nilagang Manok sa Patis (Chicken Vegetable Soup with Fish Sauce)
Nilagang Manok is a clear chicken soup loaded with vegetables and seasoned with patis or fish sauce. The soup is light, savory with a touch of natural sweetness from the vegetables.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1 kg /2 lbs chicken cut into pieces, bone-in, preferably skin on
- 4 cups water add more if needed
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery sliced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce patis
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 medium-size potatoes quartered
- 1 large carrot sliced
- 1 head cabbage quartered
- other choices of vegetables see notes
- salt to taste
Place chicken, onion, peppercorns, and celery in a large pot. Cover with water and boil for 20 minutes with the lid on.
Pour fish sauce. Add carrots and potatoes (or similar starchy vegetables). Cook for another 10 minutes until meat and vegetables are fork-tender.
Add cabbage or your choice of leafy vegetables. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes with the lid on until tender. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with warm rice. Enjoy!
- Use chicken pieces with bone-in and skin-on for a more flavorful soup.
- The thicker the cut of the chicken, the longer the cooking time.
- Cover pot with a lid so that the water will not evaporate while cooking.
- Other vegetable options: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, yam (gabi), broccoli, cauliflower, long beans (sitaw), saba bananas, napa cabbage, cabbage, pak choy or pechay, green beans, chayote and other green leafy vegetables.
- If using green leafy vegetables adjust cooking time to 1 to 2 minutes. They cook fairly quickly than cabbage.