Filipino macaroni salad made extra special with condensed milk. Creamy, crunchy, tangy, and slightly sweet. So easy to prepare–perfect for parties, BBQ, and potluck gatherings.
Filipino Macaroni Salad
This salad recipe is a cross between a Filipino-style macaroni salad and an American macaroni salad. It's creamy, slightly tangy, and loaded with vegetables.
This dressing has a perfect balance of sweetness and tanginess. To make it, you will need:
- Condensed milk - makes the salad creamy and sweet. No need to add additional sugar. This sort of replaces the sour cream in American Macaroni salad.
- Mayonnaise - I recommend Lady's Choice or Best Food as they tend to be on the tangier side which is perfect for salads.
- Vinegar - balances the sweetness of the condensed milk.
- Salt and pepper - lifts up the overall taste of the dressing. Don't skip this.
- Pickle relish - adds extra texture, tanginess, and a little bit of sweetness.
Macaroni Salad Add-ins
This list could go on and on but they are pretty much my favorites:
- Cheese - use mild cheddar cheese or processed cheddar cheese
- Ham - you can use left overham, boil it in hot water before adding to the rest of the ingredients
- Bacon - fry until slightly crispy
- Chicken - boiled chicken breast or leftover roasted chicken
- Hard-boiled eggs - slice into small chunks
- Bell Peppers
- Red Onion
- Pickle relish
Tips on how to make macaroni salad
- Cook the pasta al dente. Because no one likes a mushy salad right? After cooking pasta for 7 minutes, I start tasting a piece at a 1-minute interval until it's firm and no longer crunchy. Using a kitchen timer always helps.
- Cool the pasta completely. Residual heat may turn the dressing to curdle.
- Make the dressing in a separate bowl. Mix it well then taste test. Adjust the salt, condensed milk (sweetness), tanginess (vinegar) based on preference.
How to Serve
Macaroni salad is best served slightly chilled. Place the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight before serving. Personally, I think macaroni salad tastes better the next day when the flavors have developed.
What to Serve with Macaroni Salad
A good accompaniment for baked chicken, BBQ ribs, roasted chicken, grilled pork, roasted beef, and grilled steaks.
Refrigerate the salad in an airtight container. When properly stored, it can last for 3 to 5 days.
More recipes for your weekly menu!
- Mushroom Pasta (made with canned soup)
- Shrimp Pasta in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Chunky Mushroom and Celery Soup
- Creamy Garlic Pasta with Bacon and Mushroom
- Easy Oven Roasted Chicken
- Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
- Sardines Pasta with Tomatoes and Olives
- Cheesy Baked Macaroni
- Chicken Burger
Watch how to make Filipino Macaroni Salad
Filipino Macaroni Salad
- 250 g elbow macaroni
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup bell peppers (diced)
- ½ cup celery (diced)
- ½ cup red onion (diced)
- 1 cup cheese (diced)
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoon pickle relish
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add salt then add pasta. Cook per package directions. Drain then let it cool.
- In a bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients. Stir until well combined. Taste. Adjust condensed milk/ mayo/ vinegar/ salt.
- Place pasta in a large mixing bowl. Add carrots, bell peppers celery, onion, and cheese. Pour dressing and gently toss.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight before serving. Enjoy!
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Cook the pasta al dente - after cooking pasta for 7 minutes, start tasting a piece at a 1-minute interval until it’s tender but still firm but not raw. Using a kitchen timer always helps.
- Other add-in options: ham, egg, bacon, chicken, roasted peppers, olives, pineapples
- Storage/Shelf life: Refrigerate the salad in an airtight container within 1 hour of preparing. When properly stored, it can last 3 to 5 days.
- To serve: I love having macaroni salad with baked chicken, BBQ ribs, roasted chicken, grilled steaks,
- Other pasta options: rigatoni, ziti, and shells.
Riverten Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.