- 2 long big eggplants cut lengthwise about ¼ inch thick
- olive oil
- 3 cups homemade pasta sauce or 2 jars of instant sauce (I love Leggos pasta sauce)
- 300g minced chicken or any choice of meat
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- minced fresh parsley (optional)
white sauce (optional):
- 1 ½ cup low fat milk
- 100 grams softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon flour
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 200c. Do this before preparing the other ingredients.
- Evenly coat eggplant slices with olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Use your hands if you have to. Line them in an oiled baking sheet. Baked eggplants in a pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes each side. Set aside.
Note: If you don't have an oven, you can grill the eggplants in a skillet or grill pan for 5 to 6 minutes on each sides.
- Lower oven temperature to 180c in preparation for baking the lasagna.
- To make the red sauce (can be made ahead): Heat one tablespoons olive oil in pan. Add onions, stir until it becomes translucent. Add minced meat, stir and cook for 10 minutes or until evenly brown. Add bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper, stir and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the pasta sauce, stir. Simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat then add minced parsley. Set aside.
- Make the white sauce: In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter. Add flour. Continue stirring until well combined about 2 minutes. Slowly pour in milk, stir continuously for 2 minutes. Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Add cream cheese, stir until it's fully incorporated to the sauce. Season with a little salt and pepper. Let it simmer until sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Arrange lasagna: Oil all sides of baking dish. Spread ⅓ cup of meat sauce onto the bottom of the baking dish. Layer eggplant slices, meat sauce, white sauce (yes, in that order). Repeat steps. On the last layer of eggplant, evenly spread meat sauce, white sauce and grated mozzarella cheese.
- Baked lasagna in a pre-heated oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Serve warm. Enjoy!
I used a roasting tin when I made this and was able to make 3 layers. I still don't have a lasagna dish or even a deep baking dish that would allow me to make 4 to 5 layers. I don't know why.
Leave a Comment