This Chicken Afritada recipe is a one-pot dinner or lunch dish that is not only delicious but is also easy to prepare and incredibly simple to make. It is just what you need for busy and hectic days.
My need for easy-to-make meals continues. I was craving for Chicken Afritada the other day but I know I would not have enough time to make it the conventional way. You know! Sauteing and stirring and more stirring. My super cute baby is only kind enough to give me a short free time to be in the kitchen. So this sort of slow-cooker kind of chicken stew (without actually using the slow cooker) is just what I need.
Dump all of the ingredients in a pot (see recipe) then season with fish sauce halfway through. You will only need about half an hour to finish cooking this. Probably lesser if you cut the chicken in slightly small pieces.
Basic Afritada Ingredients
- tomato sauce
- fish sauce
- bay leaf
Instead of using bell peppers, I added laurel bay leaf. The aroma it gives is just wonderful!
Watch the video on how to make Easy Chicken Afritada
Easy Chicken Afritada Recipe
- 500 grams chicken pieces bone-in
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 2 medium potatoes sliced
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 pieces bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 1/2 cup green peas i used frozen
- Place chicken in a pot. Add in onion, garlic, potatoes and carrots, chicken broth or water, tomato sauce, and bay leaf.
- Cover with lid and let it boil over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until chicken is fork tender. Season with fish sauce once the chicken is half cooked.
- Taste then season with salt, and pepper accordingly. Add green peas. Simmer for another 1 to 2 minutes and it's done. Easy! Serve with rice of course!
- For a shorter cooking time, cut the chicken into slightly small pieces.
- Add sugar if the tomato sauce you're using is too sour. It will help cut back the acidity.
Last Updated on