A Filipino dipping sauce primarily made with vinegar, soy sauce and onions. It's tangy, a little bit salty with a hint of sweetness.
An all-around dipping sauce
This Filipino sawsawan (Filipino term for dipping sauce) is always a hit with fried pork dishes. The tanginess gives balance to the greasy flavor, making it less overwhelming (pangtanggal umay). In fact, these sauces are one of the reasons why we are able to devour big portions of fried fatty foods. They just make everything better!
Foods to eat with this dipping sauce
- Lechon Belly with Pork Crackling
- Lechon Manok (Roasted Chicken)
- Crispy pata (deep-fried pork knuckles)
- Lechon kawali (crispy fried pork belly)
- Pritong isda (fried fish)
- Inihaw na Isda (grilled fish)
- Buttered Shrimp
- Halabos na Hipon
How to make it
Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk until the sugar has completely dissolved. Let the sauce stand for around 20 to 30 minutes. This will marinate the raw onions and will make the sauce even more flavorful!
Do a taste test before serving and adjust the seasonings as needed–add more sugar if you want it sweeter or add more soy sauce if you want it saltier.
That is it! Easy peasy!
Latest recipes you need to try...
Soy Sauce and Vinegar Dipping Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Let it stand for 20 to 30 minutes. Do a taste test. Add more sugar or soy sauce based on preference. Start with 1 teaspoon at a time. Note that water will help lessen the sourness of the sauce. You can omit if preferred.
Recipe Notes and Tips:
- Vinegar options: Distilled Vinegar, White Wine Vinegar, Coconut Vinegar, and Rice Vinegar.
- Storage: This sauce can be made days ahead. Store in an air-tight glass jar and refrigerate until needed. Remember it should be air-tight as the onion smell can get stronger the longer it marinates.
Riverten Kitchen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.