In a typical Filipino household, macaroni salad is one of those dishes that is customarily made during special occasions like birthdays and end-of-year holidays. But since it’s the easiest to make out of all pasta dishes and not much cooking is needed (which means fewer dishes to wash) I think it should be a part of every family’s weekly or at least bi-weekly meal.
Just look at that creamy and velvety macaroni salad
I made it the other day and has been sitting in the fridge for a day. I’ve been thinking of something to pair it with. Then an idea hit me. Baked chicken! That too is simple and easy to make.
I decided to put the two recipes together in one post because they really turned out to be a great pair. These will definitely be my go-to dishes whenever we get tired of our favorite Filipino foods (a.k.a. rice and ulam). Yes, sometimes that happens.
Chicken thighs are the juiciest part of the chicken and that’s why I love it.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE EASY OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS
- 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 250 grams elbow macaroni
- 1 cup diced cheddar cheese
- 1 small carrots (grated)
- 1 small red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 small green bell pepper (finely diced)
- 2 celery stalks (finely diced)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions. Drain but do not rinse. Set aside and let it cool.
- In a bowl, combine all dressing ingredients. Whisk until well combined.
- In a large bowl, combine macaroni, cheese, carrots, bell pepper, celery and onion. Pour the dressing to the salad. Toss gently until well combined.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but overnight is best; the salad will completely absorb the dressing. Note: Before serving, try the salad. Taste it and adjust accordingly. I added two more tablespoons of mayonnaise to my salad to make it creamier and it turned out great!
Last Updated on